Modern businesses use WhatsApp marketing to promote and update their present and potential customers.
It makes it easier for you to attract people’s attention. WhatsApp open rates are high, and it’s likely that your target audience will read through the messaging. You can keep your audience engaged while being easily accessible to them.
Take a look at some fascinating WhatsApp marketing statistics, and use these insights to inform your marketing.
Tip: Check out latest WhatsApp statistics to understand if the platform’s features and user base aligns with your target audience.
Top WhatsApp marketing statistics
WhatsApp’s presence in more than 180 countries makes it a suitable platform for businesses to scale their marketing efforts. Let’s look into how many companies use WhatsApp for marketing, and the ways audience interacts with it.
- 80% of small and medium businesses (SMBs) in India believe WhatsApp to be a marketing channel will help them scale their business.
- WhatsApp is available in 180 countries and can help potentially reach around 2.5 billion users, with India and Brazil having maximum monthly active users.
- 50 million companies around the world (excluding China) use WhatsApp as a marketing channel.
- 39% of users prefer using WhatsApp as a customer service channel.
- 54% of users prefer to have marketing communications and order updates on WhatsApp.
- 72% of consumers say they will engage in WhatsApp marketing messages that feel personalized.
- 85% of consumers they’re interested in receiving timely and proactive communications from brands.
- The lowest average open rate for marketing communication on WhatsApp is around 17%.
- WhatsApp Business has over 120M daily active users.
- It also has over 32M monthly downloads. This proves that an exponential number of companies show their trust in the solution for their sales, marketing, and support efforts
WhatsApp marketing usage by country
Did you know financial and real-estate-themed messages are most common in India? Also, Latin America and the MENA region mostly prefer communicating and engaging with brands over WhatsApp.
In this section, we’ll look at how users from different countries engage with companies on WhatsApp.
Must read. Here’s an interesting WhatsApp usage stats roundup that’s sure to surprise you!
- In India, financial messages are the most sent promotional message on WhatsApp.
- 75% of regular communications of users with a brand on WhatsApp are from Latin America.
- 71% of respondents to marketing messages on WhatsApp are from Asia Pacific.
- 63% of frequent communicators are from North Africa and the Middle East.
- The number reduces significantly with users from Europe and North America with only 44% and 42%, respectively.
- 34% of users in the US message companies about service or technical-related queries.
- 86% of users in Latin America are more likely to buy from a brand if they are on WhatsApp.
- 76% of users from North Africa and the Middle East prefer buying from a brand if they are on WhatsApp as well.
Insightful WhatsApp marketing statistics
Here’s the holy grail. Learn more about WhatsApp marketing open rates, click through rates (CTRs), examples of companies utilizing it as a marketing channel, and the likes and dislikes of users engaging with different brands in their marketing efforts.
- WhatsApp messages have a baseline open rate of 58%. This makes it an excellent channel for companies to use as a marketing communication channel.
- Post message optimization, personalization, and timely reach-outs, WhatsApp messages from companies see an open rate of 70%.
- WhatsApp marketing messages have a clickthrough rate of around 15%.
- Based on the above factors, companies can expect a 5% conversion rate by marketing through WhatsApp.
- Companies selling through WhatsApp exclusively see repeat customers 68% of the time.
- From the use-case above, companies selling on WhatsApp see a 15% conversion rate.
- Using WhatsApp Chatbots can help see an increase in lead generation of over 500%.
- WhatsApp Chatbots have a lower cost-per-lead than other social media channels.
- Using WhatsApp Chatbots for marketing can help with a 28% lead-to-conversion rate.
- 20% of companies see an increase in business after proactively messaging on WhatsApp.
- Concrete Jungle sends segmented WhatsApp marketing messages to customers based on gender and past purchase behavior and sees an ROI of 300%.
- A small food company in Jaipur that used WhatsApp to build customer relationships saw a 5x increase in inquiries compared to using email for the same.
- The same company saw a 3x increase in repeat customers.
- Rajasthan Royals, a popular IPL team, saw a 50% increase in merchandise sales by marketing on WhatsApp.
- Mercedez Benz Turkey saw a 63% lead-to-conversion rate through a single WhatsApp marketing campaign.
- 57% of customers say they regularly interact with a brand on WhatsApp and receive content from them.
- 70% of customers say that their perception of a company has positively impacted their perception of a company.
- 66% of users have purchased after communicating with a brand on WhatsApp.
- 69% of respondents from a survey say that they are more likely to buy from a brand if there’s a WhatsApp option available.
- 73% of users say that slow responses on WhatsApp will convince them not to engage with a brand.
- 56% of users have said that they’ve abandoned a purchase because a company was too slow to respond to their query.
- 64% of users say they will spend more on purchases if a company is active on WhatsApp, making their presence known.
- 39% of users primarily message a company for product or service-related queries.
- 11% of users message companies for brand-related queries.
- 11% of users also message companies to stay updated with shipping details.
- 9% of users actively respond to discount or promotion-related messages.
- Of 34% of users who did not purchase after marketing communication on WhatsApp, 40% did not feel comfortable.
- 21% of users directly interact with a brand on WhatsApp through a click-to-WhatsApp ad on Facebook or Instagram.
- 46% of users get in touch with a company through a “Contact Us” CTA
- 72% of users say they have never had a negative experience interacting with a brand’s marketing efforts through WhatsApp.
- 12% of users say they have a negative experience with a brand when they don’t receive promotional messages or discount-related communication.
- 31% of users actively expect personalized offers and messages from brands.
- 21% of users expect regular updates or topics they care about from brands when they communicate with them on WhatsApp.
Toward data-driven WhatsApp marketing
WhatsApp for marketing can be incredibly successful if implemented right. What’s more, it costs less and has a high ROI. It’s a powerful platform that’s changed how companies connect and engage with their audience.
The numbers speak for themselves. With WhatsApp marketing, companies can create and establish deeper connections, build brand loyalty, and ultimately drive their bottom line.
As with any marketing strategy, WhatsApp marketing success requires a thoughtful approach. Companies must prioritize trust building, respect user privacy, and deliver relevant and valuable content.
Learn more about how businesses use WhatsApp Web to drive more efficiency and productivity.